Book Log #2: A History of Tea

 Title: A History of Tea

Subtitle: The Life and Times of the World's Favorite Beverage

Author: Laura C. Martin

Published: 2018


This book offers a comprehensive and easily understandable of the history of tea, from its initial founding, to its improvement in taste, to it being traded, how it played its part in the opium war, and it winding its way into teabags and bottled ice tea. 

Some things I learnt in this book was about the first flush and second flush of tea. Prior to reading this book, I did come across some tea that carried this name and had wondered about it. 

The other thing I learnt was about the different types of tea. No, I'm not referring to black or green or white tea or any other variants, I'm referring to the tea packed in bricks, its powdered form (matcha), and tea leaves (the way most of us know it). 

This is a book I would return to again in the future and it just made me appreciate tea even more than I had before. 

Comments